Monday, October 18, 2010

Exclusive Interview - Nick Thayer



Yes yes, it's Monday again. Time flies when you're having fun and man am I. It's always a challenge to keep up on everything and balance it all out but doing the blog is one of my favorite things to maintain. Last week we featured a whole boat load of stuff from antipodean mastermind Nick Thayer. Being a big fan of his work myself I thought it would be great to have him answer the Kick It Twelve and being a sporting chap, he was happy to oblige. Under the interview you can find links to Nick's pages and more.

The Kick It Tweleve - Nick Thayer Edition

1. – At what age did you first find yourself gravitating towards electronic music and who were some of the artists outside of Electronic music that influenced that?
I probably started getting into electronic music around seventeen, thanks to acts like the Chemical Brothers. They had that kind of appeal where it was rock, soul, funk and yet electronic all at once. They really bridged that gap for me.
2. – What was your very first Album? How about CD?
The first album I owned was Queen's 'Greatest Hits'. The first CD I bought was I think Michael Jackson's 'Bad'.
3. – How did you first get involved with the Electronic music culture and what was the first event that you attended?
There was also this night called Purveyors at this spot in Melbourne called The Lounge, where I used to go every week with my mates. I got exposed to a lot of different club music there, and I guess from the off it was guys like Ransom and Paz who I used to watch there who showed me that club music, and electronic music in general, doesn't have to be homogenous.
4. – Where was your favorite gig that you have had to date?
I'd say playing at Roots Society at Burning Man this year is right up there. An amazing group of people, an amazing setting, and playing to 10,000 people in the middle of the desert is an unparalleled experience.
5. - Who have you been most proud to play alongside?
I guess the first time I played at Fabric about five or six years ago, which was for a Plump DJs night, it was alongside every heavy hitting name I could think of. Seeing my name on that flier alongside everyone else I was looking up to was a real buzz.
6. - Where would you most like to play that you have not yet?
I've never been to South America which I would love to do. I've also never played in LA or New York, which seems very strange. I think I'm gonna break those two cherries in March though...
7. - What is your favorite tune you have released?
As an artist, you always have to be most proud of your most recent work, otherwise you're never progressing. My favorite tunes on my album are 'Can't Touch Me Now', 'Swan Dive', and 'Ca$h Money'.
8. - Who is your favorite EDM artist? How about outside of EDM?
Ever since the first time I saw them, the Chemical Brothers continue to push boundaries. Outside of EDM I'd go for Muse.
9. - Who are some artists you would like to collaborate with in the future?
The list of vocalists I'd love to work with is as long as you can imagine. I find the most exciting collaborations are the unexpected ones though. When you wind up with a day off on tour somewhere, and someone else is there too and you jam into some other guy's studio just to see what will happen...
10. - What is your preferred software for producing? Hardware?
I use Cubase and Ableton to produce. For hardware I can't do without my Roland SH2000 and my Prunes And Custard guitar pedal.
11. - What life lessons has the music industry taught you?
If you want to succeed, you have to put in the effort. Whether it's work, music, sport, whatever. Make sure you're putting in 100%, cause you can be damn sure the next guy is, and when it comes to it, he'll beat you.
12. – What does the future hold for “Nick Thayer”
For me it will be more of the same. Writing music and then playing it in dark places. I've developed an AV show alongside visual artist sevenmilligram that we're touring through Canada in December and then the US in March. Plus I've got two new EPs coming out in January and February. And a stack of remixes. It's all go.



Gonna Getcha VIP - FREE 320 DOWNLOAD by Nick Thayer

Bombstrikes Vol 19 'Nick Thayer & Ali B' Sampler by Nick Thayer

DJ Agent 86 - Microdot (Nick Thayer Rmx) by Nick Thayer

Nick Thayer's Website - http://www.nickthayer.com/

Nick Thayer on Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/djnickthayer

No comments:

Post a Comment